BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, April 26, 2010

Fun Embellishment Organizers

I make jewelry, and in the beginning I used these organizers for my beads. Eventually I grew out of them, and went to other methods of organizing my beads. I was then left with these empty organizers that had labels stuck to many of  the drawers and such, but I didn't just want to throw them out. I decided to decorate them instead and use them for organizing all of my scrapbooking embellishments. I made two red ones, and eventually did a brown one for organizing my fly-tying stuff. I had a lot of fun making these decorative embellishment organizers, and they turned out great! The red ones came that way, but the brown one I spray painted with a brown sparkle spray paint that works on plastics. Here's what you need:

the organizers (usually found in the hardware section at walmart etc.)
spray paint for plastic (optional)
decorative cardstock works best (measured and cut to fit the front of the drawers)
mod podge
sponge brushes
damp wash cloth
embellishments, rub-ons, and other decorations you like

If you are going to spray paint, take out all the drawers and evenly coat the entire thing. The majority of the time in this project will be spent on attaching the cardstock to the drawers. First you need to coat the front of the drawer with a layer of mod podge. Then press the cardstock into place. Smooth a generous layer of mod podge over the cardstock. You will want to take your damp washcloth and rub it over the top to remove excess, clean the edges up, and make sure the mod podge has saturated the cardstock. Don't rub too much, or your cardstock will start to come apart, but make sure you smooth it over the rounded bottom edge of the drawer. Then you just have to repeat with the rest of the drawers. Your brush will start to get goopy and crusty, so I usually switch brushes a couple times. After it drys, you can put on embellishments. I like using rub-on sayings and such as well. Finally, you can fill it up with all your little embellishments and enjoy!

0 comments: